Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

If Klingons do, then they're going to need the salt water.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 AM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 117,692.93
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
disclaimer: i'm not responsibobble for any particular room full of babbling airheads.

if i had my particular way, i wouldn't be careful with that axe, eugene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h32_wNcjLZA
"One Of These Days I'm Gona Cut You Into Little Pieces"...Just Sayin'

When Lit
Old 10-26-2015, 01:09 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 310,860.52
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coil_Smoke View Post
"One Of These Days I'm Gona Cut You Into Little Pieces"...Just Sayin'
*bingo*

also... "you see what i haff to verk viff, no?"
Old 10-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 52,908.88
elton will become famous soon enough

Beer is by far the best solution .... but regrettably, I am off the nectar at the moment .... doctors short term orders until they get my issues resolved. Then I will hopefully resume on occasional days

Old 10-29-2015, 05:51 PM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 258,401.34
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by elton View Post
Beer is by far the best solution .... but regrettably, I am off the nectar at the moment .... doctors short term orders until they get my issues resolved. Then I will hopefully resume on occasional days
That would be awful! If you lived in America where they make real beer. (man, if those three emoticons aren't writing the story of every time I've had a beer, I don't know what emoticons could!) When I was working at a bar my friend owned, a distributor brought in an advertising banner for Guinness, always a tough sell in the "Hicksville, USA" states. My friend added his own tagline in Sharpie: "20,000,000 Limeys Can't Be Wrong!"
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
elton (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 04:27 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

So, why do you suppose the beer that comes with a twist of Lime is being marketed to Hispanics? Where's my ginger rum? I think Capt. Morgan uses spice cake!
Old 10-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Pinball Wizard

Captain Morgan rum .... urgh!

There are so many good rums Pussers etc. Rum is my spirit of choice and I have a considerable selection to taste at all times although I cannot have that either at the moment. All alcohol is banned boo hoo!

As for adding anything to beer .... dear God, will makers stoop any lower in their pursuit of more sales? They should make German and selected Belgium beers the de facto standard

Old 10-30-2015, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Credits: 141,243.70
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Ah Caribbean Rum, that which it was mayhap famous for?

Though I'm more of a real Ale man myself rather those same, same lager brews, if you've ever delved into the art of home brewing then you may know otherwise, though most have little to no appreciation of the vastly greater range and tastes of a real beer.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Pinball Wizard

On my last trip to Belgium I sampled a wide range of beers. Many were disgusting and with ABV's of 10% and up. But there were a number of very pleasant beers Palm for instance that were a sheer delight.

Tried the home brew route years ago. Started as a fan but grew weary of the inconsistent results. So 'real ale' beers are the same for me. They can taste good but invariably, I go off them.

Currently prefer German beers Perlenbacker and Graffenwalder .... lovely stuff .... have a fridge full but out of bounds

Old 10-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Administrator

StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Got to agree a beer anything over a ABV of 7.5% is most certainly not going to be a beer worth drinking and would have to be made using a wine yeast or some other method of brewing trickery.

Which brings me to mention the ICE beer, which when done correctly can indeed work, I believe the Canadians are to be credited with this style, though maybe the Japanese, both make some very nice ICE brews.

Water freezes at a higher temperature then alcohol thus the brew is bought to the freeze and some of the ice is removed to concentrate the beer whilst increasing the ABV, flavours and imparts a crisp clean finishing taste.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:34 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 258,401.34
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

When I want to play rummy, my choice is Sailor Jerry's. Add Coke and it tastes like a vanilla coke. Magic!
Old 10-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Pinball Wizard

Spiced bloody rum? ...... that just sucks big time.

Come on guys man up! The only thing that should go in a glass of rum .... is more rum!

I despair of the mere thought of bastardising beautiful rum with spices!!!!! Dear, oh deary me

Old 10-30-2015, 03:41 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 11,535.74
Shooby Doo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOz View Post
Got to agree a beer anything over a ABV of 7.5% is most certainly not going to be a beer worth drinking and would have to be made using a wine yeast or some other method of brewing trickery.
There are some great imperial ales and stouts that hit 10% or more. I really like New Belgium's "Rampant" imperial IPA, which is around 9%, and is one of my favorite ales for the price. Founders Imperial Stout is amazing as well. http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/...-gate=verified

I've never attempted brewing my own beer, but there's a brewing supply store and growler bar a mile from my work I go to about once a week and fill 2 of my growlers. http://gravityhomebrew.com/whats-on-tap/ I'm actually about to go in few minutes... I'm thinking about filling one with the Breakout Stout or Breakfast Stout, and the other with the Blood Orange Blind Pirate. I love trying new stuff.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Administrator

There are no Ale or Lager yeasts which can ferment a beer much above an ABV of 7.5% without being killed from the alcohol.

So those "beers" with higher then 7.5% ABV can only be produced using a wine yeast or wild yeasts which can survive at much higher ABV concentrations maybe up to 14% or so.

A wine yeast will impart a completely different flavour to that of an Ale or Lager yeast, yes a wine like taste, so I don't really consider them to be beer, they are a carbonated malt based wine.

Yeasts are an interesting organism indeed and there are thousands of different strains, many exclusively used for a particular beer or style of beer. Lager and Ale yeast are completely different thus why a lager is a lager and and ale an ale.

Lager yeasts can only thrive and survive at very low temperatures 0C to 6C, whilst Ale yeast are far more robust able to thrive in the 12C to 28C range. The techniques to produce a lager are very different to those of producing an ale.