Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 09-26-2017, 05:50 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 42,233.35
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about
Default Music (or, What's In a Name?)

It seemed like years, and it was, when I couldn't set foot into the local watering hole without being prodded to sit in with the band and do Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water".....ah, the good old days.

Perusing a calendar-style yearbook of my birth year (1947) called 'Time Passages', I see that title phrase and do a double-take; one Red Foley had a #1 hit, 'Smoke On the Water', in 1944 (This was a footnote to another tune cited May 18, 1947).

From the days before Auto-Tune:

One might perceive some difference...
Old 09-27-2017, 10:13 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 269,668.64
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

funny how it's such an amiable little tune musically, but such a rabid war-mongering piece in terms of lyrics. reminds me of the classic "smiths" formula.

i would love it if some place around here let me sing or play music as part of the ambiance. the closest i got was a bar / restaurant that has a piano. although i'm quite friendly with the owner, he's almost paranoid about us making too much noise and upsetting his upstairs neighbors. oh well, but thankfully there's the cantina next door which lets me play a djembe quietly during sporting events.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
GSGregg (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 05:03 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 42,233.35
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

Hey, Ike!

Whaddya say we team up and write lyrics for a third verse? There's a pudgy North Korean who needs taking down - and a haircut to boot. And, there's always the man under the Thing On Donald Trump's Head.....

A Djembe...quietly? I thought a drum wasn't fulfilled unless the crap was beat out of it! Stick with bongos and you could be the next Preston Epps!

Speaking of ambiance; back in '85 or so, I met a conga player named Ray Armando who enjoyed Sara Udon the way one of my favorite Japanese restaurants put it together, and would sit and provide soothing (?) percussion by himself between bites.....come to find out that one of his tunes, 'Con Mi Guaguanco', is used in the Dexter soundtrack.

You never know who you'll meet in a late-night sushi bar.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:06 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 118.46
Lena01 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Music is an art form and cultural activity whose medium is sound organized in time. The common elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics (loudness and softness), and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture (which are sometimes termed the "color" of a musical sound). Different styles or types of music may emphasize, de-emphasize or omit some of these elements. Music is performed with a vast range of instruments and vocal techniques ranging from singing to rapping; there are solely instrumental pieces, solely vocal pieces (such as songs without instrumental accompaniment) and pieces that combine singing and instruments. The word derives from Greek μουσική (mousike; "art of the Muses").
Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 269,668.64
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Bad bot.

(too obvious)