Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Real Pinball > Maintenance & Repair

Maintenance & Repair Discuss and offer tips on real life machines.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 7,806.22
rsvore is on a distinguished road
Default STTNG reboot

It's been a while since I had to work on my STTNG. I'm having the notorious problem of reboot when I hit the flippers. It was happening with both flipper but after removing cables to the different boards I traced the problem to my DMD board. I replaced it (never touched the DMD board before so it was due for replacement and repair) and had better luck. Now it seems to only reboot with the right flippers. I ran the switch test and I can manually move the upper and lower flippers from the playfield without any problems can also move them at the same time but when I press the flipper button I get the reboot. I think it's the resistors on the flipper board causing the problem. I'll replace them and see what happens. I did test the resistors on my multi-meter and it read lower than 5%. I think I'm on the right track any other suggestions?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 117,692.93
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice

I believe these games reset because the logic +5V drops too low. Do you have a dim LED on CPU board? I have my Star Trek TNG plugged into a variac. The auto-transformer can raise line voltage at least 5%. @ 123VAC my machine has never reset, plays good ,fast and strong. There are more proper fixes for your power supply. This has worked just fine for over two years.

Or check if you can switch to the low voltage (108VAC)winding on mains transformer. This did not help me, maybe because my machine was originally 230VAC ...C_S

P,S. These games can pull 5-7 amps. A mid sized Variac rated at 7 or 8 amps will do just fine.

When Lit

Last edited by Coil_Smoke; 10-26-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: PS
Old 10-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 7,806.22
rsvore is on a distinguished road

Thanks Coil Smoke.

I didn't think about getting a variance to plug into. Friday night I turned the machine on and it booted up just fine. The next morning it was 62 degrees in the house because of the cold front passing through (to cheap to turn on the house heat). The pinball was so cold it didn't want to turn on with the coin door open or closed. Then I read about the Thermistor that I have never replaced that would cause this problem so I ordered the part and should get it in later this week to install for the weekend. hope this might help too.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsvore For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (10-29-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Faralos

Credits: 124,907.30
faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

back when I used to work on video games and pins
we discovered that moving them in winter brought up a whole slew of problems
like waiting half an hour before plugging any in due to the coldness of the boards
they could short out from condensation on the boards
so we had to let them 'warm up to the site' half an hour at least
then we could plug them in safely
The Following User Says Thank You to faralos For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 117,692.93
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Question Thermistor ? " Inquiring Minds Want To Know"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvore View Post
Thanks Coil Smoke.

I didn't think about getting a variance to plug into. Friday night I turned the machine on and it booted up just fine. The next morning it was 62 degrees in the house because of the cold front passing through (to cheap to turn on the house heat). The pinball was so cold it didn't want to turn on with the coin door open or closed. Then I read about the Thermistor that I have never replaced that would cause this problem so I ordered the part and should get it in later this week to install for the weekend. hope this might help too.
I'm curious, where does this thermistor reside? Is it a protection device in the power supply?...C_S

P.S. I know the plunger switch deactivates the high power D.C. to the playfield when the coin door is opened. Is this what helps the machine to start? " Inquiring Minds Want To Know" National Enquirer commercial (1986) - YouTube

When Lit

Last edited by Coil_Smoke; 10-29-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Pinball Technician

Credits: 60,188.36
pinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the rough

the thermistor is a resistor that changes resistance due to its surrounding temperature. they are usually used in temp probes to read temperatures of liquids or heated air. if a thermistor was used on a power supply board it would be mounted on a heat sink or the 5 volt regulator to sense overheating. i dont know of any thermistors ever being used on pinball machines. he may be thinking of a varistor that protects against high voltage spikes. if the varistor blows out the game may not come on. the plunger switch that turns off the dc coil voltage when the coin door is opened, of what i see doesnt help the start of the machine.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Pinball Technician

Credits: 60,188.36
pinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the rough

williams WPC pins do have a thermistor in it. its located in the power box in front of cabinet. G P electronics calls it a inrush surge limiter, it works with the varistor to put less stress on the bridge rectifiers. i found this on pinwiki williams WPC . there is a list of repairs for the re-booting issue also. re-booting usually happens when the 5vdc at the cpu drops. this voltage drop is usually lost in connectors , esp with IDC's and Z connectors, and is usually seen as a dim led on the cpu board. to test voltage at cpu , J210 is the cpu voltage inputs, and the 2 grey wires are the 5vdc inputs.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdaveh For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (12-04-2013)