Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 04-30-2019, 10:00 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 274,326.74
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

The first time I saw that "Prisencolinensinainciusol" video, it blew my mind! It was like watching an Italian nerd Elvis... in corduroys, no less! That dude rocks and rolls! But I absolutely hate the harmonica chick. Put your finger down! That's no way to play the harp.
I stumbled across a weird sub-subgenre of music: Italian Library Music. It's music that was recorded for ad agencies and broadcast stations. We had a huge book of it at the station I worked at. Say you want 30 seconds of mellow modern jazz for a commercial. Or something faster like fast rock music. Since you pay for it all at once, you don't have to pay rights to use it each time in a commercial. Well, there was this guy named Lesiman who did Italian Library Music in the '70s, and, brother, he swings! I've listened to far too much American library music and it's the worst kind of pablum. But Lesiman really grooves!

Man, doesn't that sound like just the coolest Starsky & Hutch episode ever? I, too, have a great fondness for Morricone. Once Upon a Time In the West is one of my all-time favorite movies, and Morricone's music for it is one of my all-time favorite soundtracks! I've got a 2-disc Best of Morricone that's some fine listening! I'm going to have to come back to discuss the Neanderthals. My completely and utterly disrupted sleep cycle says it might let me doze off now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (05-01-2019), Sleepy's Sister (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Pinball Player

Credits: 1,328.61
Sleepy's Sister has a spectacular aura aboutSleepy's Sister has a spectacular aura about

I could totally picture Starsky & Hutch chasing bad guys through the streets of Bay City in their Gran Torino with that soundtrack! Very cool!
Old 05-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 330,378.89
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Oh yeah, Morricone. Morricone.

Hope he dasn't mind that I merged him with Leone just there. Remarkably, based on his WP entry, he's still going strong at 90yrs old and still looks pretty healthy & handsome to me. Seems he won the soundtrack Oscar for "Hateful Eight" just a couple years ago.

Btw, just kind of stopping by for a moment while listening to the Cyclones Stop Your Sobbing from disc three. I hadn't realised it wasn't original to Chrissie Hynde, but was seemingly a Ray Davies creation from 15 years earlier (1964). Interesting that it got covered by the Singaporeans during the interval.

Anyway, fun thread. Also not feeling my best lately, but I hope to participerate more, soon.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 330,378.89
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Hey Bill if you're still reading, I'd posted about The Shaggs on my FB wall around a year ago, but I don't think you were around then.

To me they're sort of fascinating, cringe-worthy, hilarious & strangely enjoyable, all at the same time. I reckon there's a good chance you're already familiar with them, but if not-- the basic idea is that (stealing a page from Laszlo Polgar's playbook, the guy who fathered the greatest chess-playing sisters of all time), this guy decided ahead of time that he wanted his three girls to become rock stars & maybe hitch his wagon to them, a bit like Murry Wilson, I guess.

For whatever reasons, he decided to just buy the equipment and then leave the girls to figure out everything on their own...