Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Visual Pinball and Visual PinMAME > Visual Pinball and Visual PinMAME Discussion

Visual Pinball and Visual PinMAME Discussion Anything VP or VPM related

Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Credits: 141,243.70
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice
Default VP updates and direction.

Soon I assume from reading there will be a new VP 9.16 which will enable the importation of 3D models on top of the already added primitives, alpha ramps and whatever else comes next.

Now this will allow the creation of more realistic rendering of tables if you have the know how or can learn how. Also it seems to me the hardware requirements to run these things is getting to the stage that if your PC is more then a few years old, well forget it.

Point being that VP used to be able to run on just about any PC, now not so, is this desirable?

Also to create a table to the highest standard requires more then just VP knowledge and VB scripting skills, now you need many other programs and advanced graphics programming skills to do so, is this desirable?

As it is authors are few enough and the extra learning curve created by all these added VP features can't be making it any easier for new or older table authors to master the craft.

Point being is this push for the best possible rendering of a VP table really the best direction for it's continued development to be heading?

Should not ease of use and lesser hardware requirements also be given greater consideration?

Is VP becoming more exclusive rather then inclusive?

Your thoughts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevOz For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (07-19-2013), JonPurpleHaze (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Yes, Vp has definitely become more exclusive on the cutting edge side of things, though I think it is more on par with Future Pinball but with a Lot of catching up to do, graphically speaking.

But there is no reason why old school development of tables cannot continue as before.
Tables can take advantage of the new stuff or ignore the new stuff all the way.
As of Rev. 908, 3D .obj files can be imported into VP. It's still WIP and not official,
and the 3D Import does Not include the modeled textures as yet. For now, the "textures" are still applied to the 3D model shape the same as to a VP standard Wall as a .bmp Image.

The 3D Import function currently does not import the color or texture or materials or lighting or shine, transparency, specularity, roughness, or cloudiness attributes of the 3D model. That may still be WIP. I don't know.

I've played with VP 3D Imports and there is little impact on my Duron 1.2 GHz. system, though that was One Model and I'm sure any gonzo approach to Every Single Table Detail being a 3D Model, like every detail being an EM Reel, will undoubtedly break old graphics systems.

Still, I have to believe that a smart author would choose to use 3D models sparingly.
Many of the reasons for using 3D Models can still be better served by current methods. Only Vertical sculptured Objects make sense for 3D since we can't shape the sides of a Wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
JonPurpleHaze (07-08-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

I asked about sharing the Dropbox link for the VP REV WIP .exe files at other websites and I didn't get a response. Maybe the dev missed my PM?
I'm guessing the Dropbox account is an exclusive subscriber account.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Former Operator

Credits: 60,243.88
Itchigo will become famous soon enoughItchigo will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I never saw this thread. It has gotten out of hand imo. Evryone is jaded by "this looks like crap- I don't want it". I'm happy to be able to play ANY on these. I don't care if they don't look the best, when's the next time I'll ever see a Mata Hari again?

These are experimental builds by the way. They're up at VPU.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qx1yng3nm...nball%20Builds

FREEDOM!!
Join the Rogue (A different kind of pinball site)
http://roguepinball.com/index.php