Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 02-21-2015, 05:34 PM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 255,842.91
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

@pinballdaveh I, too, haven't been to a theater since the last Batman movie. Before that, the other Batman movie. Tickets are just way too expensive and it's easier to wait a couple months for the films to be available for download. I did find out that Madison is one of four cities that has a Sundance movie theater. I've been keeping my eye on that one, just in case something good comes along.
Whoops! I did manage to see The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on a big screen during the Madison Film Festival a few years back, but that doesn't give me any idea for what regular admissions are going for today. I think it cost me $7 to see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
pinballdaveh (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Here's one for all the Murry boys and psycho dykes around me, for allowing me no sleep after giving me strokes because of their sleep deprivation. Total Hollywood bastards.
I love this one.

The Following User Says Thank You to sleepy For This Useful Post:
pinballdaveh (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

She was on the later Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on NBC in...1988.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Pinball Wizard

I installed an epub plugin for Firefox, but how do you handle the epub file itself? Assuming that I unzipped the download, which file do I open?
Old 02-22-2015, 02:07 AM
Pinball Wizard

It's Saturday night, and in the very old days that means I'm sitting in my room strumming an electric guitar that has no amp...

This one is bothersome due to evil latency issues, so I played it out slow and I still fumbled the ball.
Computer latency is a bitch...

Here, you take this before they do. They're already talking from over there about it. Somebody was saying "Frampton". Not him.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Oleo.mp3 (1.23 MB, 250 views)

Last edited by sleepy; 02-23-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 28,397.09
bha19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby651 View Post
You got it, PD! Are those scenes from the movie they're showing in the clip? Because it's been about 35 years since I've seen it.

This was going to be my answer. I just saw the movie again about a month ago and what a great movie. This song has to be near the top of the list for songs of that era and genre.
The Following User Says Thank You to bha19 For This Useful Post:
pinballdaveh (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 310,855.27
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
The stretch tremolo might snap the strings and knock them out of tune. That's the reason for the roller-bridge tremolo. It just shifts like moving the bridge under the strings instead of stretching them.
The tremolo bar is normally used for chord bends where you have too many fingers and bar chords involved to be able to bend the chord. That's where the tremolo bar comes in handy.
yes i know what a tremolo bar is for.

okay i did a lil reading on the roller saddle and it also sounds like a poor idea. maybe if you're playing some kind of music that heavily requires six-string tremolo created on the bridge then it's a good idea. otherwise you're going to screw with your strings or screw with your tone. (choose your poison)
Old 02-22-2015, 05:10 PM

LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
I installed an epub plugin for Firefox, but how do you handle the epub file itself? Assuming that I unzipped the download, which file do I open?
I'm not really sure how the FF plugin works. I use Calibre. Easy to use and free! After downloading, all you have to do is drag and drop the epub file and you're ready to read! It also allows you to send files to any reading device you happen to have, freeing Kindle users from the Amazon leash.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download
sleepy (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Pinball Wizard

Uh oh...My old man's name was "Ray". He ruled with an iron fist and a leather belt, threw me across the room once for telling him that he was not God over a stupid stipulation of his, and he flirted with Rhonda (Fleming) behind my Mother's back in or around '64. I held my silence about that, and I was Expected to.
And always, always saying "goddamit" became his stock in trade.

Say, does anybody here have the phone number for Doc Levy? Never mind. He would be their personnel...

Last edited by sleepy; 02-22-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:28 AM
Pinball Wizard

This is definitely one of my favorites.
But it couldn't win The Grammy...
WTF?

Ah, if only I were strumming again...
Old 02-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Speaking of Brian Wilson, this looks like... something. I'll withhold from judging a book by its cover (or sappy dialogue in its trailer), but, man, Paul Dano was born to play a young Brian Wilson! And Paul Giamatti as "Dr." Eugene Landry means it will have that much going for it, at least.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

that looks pretty nice. so they have cusack to play the older brian? and i'll take giamatti to play pretty much any character role he wants to, even if they're kind of variations on each other. he's just that good.

btw, i'm slowly reading that book you shared. brian sounds like a hell of a sweet, fun guy when he was young. haven't really come to the part where love shows what a flaming a-hole he is, but i'll let you know. :P
Old 02-26-2015, 12:09 AM

I've seen Paul Giamatti in some less-than-good movies, but I have never seen him be anything but awesome in a less-than-good movie. I recently heard an interview with Larry Wilmore, talking about how he was working as a writer on a late-'80s sitcom pilot. The studio absolutely hated the leading actor and wasn't shy about saying so. Despite the fact that the actor had another role on his plate, they decided to film the pilot anyway. So Larry says they had to call the actor who knew the studio hated him and tell him to report for filming. He agreed to, even though he made it clear that he wasn't gonna do a series for those assholes if it got picked up. The pilot was done in front of a live studio audience and this guy absolutely killed, amazing Wilmore and everyone else who worked on the show. And, yeah, that guy was Paul Giamatti.
LOL! If Mike ain't an asshole before the author interviews him, he sure will fulfill the mandate then!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:16 AM
Pinball Wizard

Dr. Landry? I thought his name was "Eugene Levy". So I checked it...

WHOAH....His name was "Landy". My nickname at the old farmhouse in '59 was "Lindy".

WHOAH...That's enough of this...
Old 02-26-2015, 04:41 AM

That's just freaky. After I wrote that, I thought "was his name 'Levy'?" But Eugene Levy's the guy from Second City... right? YES! I win the Battle of the Eugenes!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:47 AM
Pinball Wizard

You should have heard the pump organ before it burnt to the ground.

That movie...I dunno. It might be a modest hit given a small budget. Jersey Boys made $47 Million domestic. Else it's a dog like "Jobs" that only made $16 Million.
Does anybody really want to see a movie about the end of a sound?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:20 AM
Pinball Wizard

"The Doors" did $34 Million. It was considered a financial disappointment.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:42 PM

I think they're working on a much smaller scale than those movies. This is an independent film that was picked up after a showing at the Toronto Films Festival, so out-of-pocket probably isn't more than $10 million for the studio releasing it.
That Jersey Boys movie was horrible! Not one prank phone call! The first one was much better, and didn't have any of those shitty Four Seasons songs in it.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:52 PM

And while we're on the subject of Brian Wilson (weren't we? Somewhere in this Petula Clark thread?), I thought those "Hitler" videos were over and done with... until I saw this one where Mr. Schicklegruber makes a fine argument for why Pet Sounds is a better album than Sgt. Pepper's.

Coil_Smoke (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Pinball Porcupine

i'm at p56... it's talking about a crazy recording session of "rhonda" in which murry shows up drunk and pretty much ruins the whole thing.

actually found it on the tube!
http://youtu.be/_bxfR-Vuo8Y

the description has a lot of fun info-- like how they eventually gave murry his own mixing panel which wasn't actually hooked up to anything. :P
Old 02-26-2015, 07:04 PM

LOL! Yeah, that thing's been floating around for years! Let's say that you're a decently insanely-successful musician, you're a young man and it's 1965... how do you not tell Murry to fuck off? That mixing panel move was a pretty good trick!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Pinball Wizard

I missed the Buffalo Springfield reunion tour.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby651 View Post
LOL! Yeah, that thing's been floating around for years! Let's say that you're a decently insanely-successful musician, you're a young man and it's 1965... how do you not tell Murry to fuck off? That mixing panel move was a pretty good trick!
at the same time, it's a complicated equation by my understanding.

i mean, murry f'd up his kids' heads something fierce yet was ALSO instrumental in pushing their career (passive-aggressively, no doubt ) and battling for their rights vs. usurious labels.

dude comes across as ambitious and insane, a total PITA to work with, but instrumental in their contracts and industry recognition.

also-- hey bill, you know i'm always happy to sing a frankie valli song for you if it will help you develop taste for music.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 PM

"Don't cry. Richard Furay is still touring." You've really got to know your Poco to get that one. And your BS, as well.

LOL! Maybe you singing one will help me with Music Appreciation 101... because Frankie's screeching has never done it for me!
Ike Savage (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM

You know, it's frightening just how many PITAs the music business has birthed, many frustrated artists like Murry and good ol' Joe Jackson who take the aggression their failures gave them out on their kids. I just saw a Cowsills documentary... and the same thing. Drunken, abusive control-freak father who was, more or less, the reason The Cowsills didn't star in the TV series based on their group, The Partridge Family. What's most amazing is how similar all these abusive assholes are. It's like someone's making carbon copies of them!
Ike Savage (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:32 AM
Pinball Wizard

Ever see Joe Jackson on a nude beach? I wasn't looking for that.
And how similar all these abusive assholes are? It's the same guy.

And Furay! I want to hear Legend live before I die.
But he kicked the Furay forum off his website after I showed up...
This was also shortly after the Buffalo Springfield tour ended and the members were then all about BS. The Rev couldn't get a word in edgewise about his new albums.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:51 AM
Pinball Wizard

Somebody there was asking about a Poco reunion... not me.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:06 AM
Pinball Porcupine

the cowsills, the partridge family... really? i never knew about that one. interesting.

btw, poco links back to newsradio via phil hartman, the co-lead with dave foley on that show. he used to design albums covers before getting in to comedy. i believe he did "legend" for them.

btw, it's funny...

bill-- my age. a former radio DJ.
sleepy-- an older bloke who tended to grow up with this stuff.
myself-- a weirdo who needs to know the history of everything that came before. sort of the opposite of the mean, who think that history only began when they started paying attention.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Pinball Wizard

The Cowsills' connection to "Partridge" seemed obvious at the time, though I never knew for sure until it became official.

Wow. They revisited "Hair" and added the "Jesus" verse at the end.
Great build, and I've never heard that version before. The verse was omitted from their single in the 60's. Very cool and sharpens the point of it.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Pinball Wizard

This one is showing its age,
but I still find it wonderful. BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM..

Last edited by sleepy; 02-27-2015 at 07:24 PM.