Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 AM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 255,842.91
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

Well... it's hard to deny their dedication... their complete and utterly batshit dedication. Yeah, preach it, brother! That one guy's bitching about the Intellivision controller. You know, there have been significant advancements in the field since then. I don't know... just because you're a neat and very-organized hoarder doesn't really negate the "hoarder" part.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeVanCleef For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (05-04-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 310,855.27
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

btw, for the half-dozen lurke... folks who keep tuning in for the "bill and nic show," here's a nice little gaming bone for you:

a wonderful little semi rogue-like / semi-puzzler you can play in browser or on your tablet, whatever. the enchanted cave 2:
http://armorgames.com/play/17682/the-enchanted-cave-2

dun say i never did nothin' for you, you pitiful slackers...!

Last edited by Ike Savage; 05-08-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:40 PM
RIP Ruby. Whosa good dog?

Credits: 255,842.91
LeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of lightLeeVanCleef is a glorious beacon of light

LOL! I like our show! I think it's the best "non-superhero" "non-NCIS" show available to the masses! We are missing a member of the Fantastic (4-1), though. Come back, arne! We're flatlining in the ratings without you!
That link actually took me to a whole mess'o'games, so I'm not sure which one you were pointing out. And, it doesn't matter because I found web-based KR Frontiers! So I'll be playing that, despite the fact I play it every day on my Ipod,
Old 05-08-2016, 01:17 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

yeah, what's been going on with the "arne and bill" show, anyway?

alright, i fixed the link above.

one of these days i'll have to figure out what to do about my tablet. it's probably about time for the 4th kingdom rush to be coming out, eh?

back to MAME-- i tried setting up one of the console systems (intellivision), and it went fairly well. this one-stop-shopping thing is pretty nice, i must say. the main thing you must take care of correctly is to drop the bios / system file "intv.zip" in to the MAME ROMs folder, then create a subfolder named "intv" inside, and -then- drop your intellivision ROMs in to that new subfolder. and of course they have to be named to MAME's exacting standars.

this should work the same way for all the other consoles.

NOTE: clearmamepro does *not* seem to recognise the console subfolders. it will move them in to its own 'to be deleted' folder, given the chance. so before you do a CMP scan, be sure to temporarily move your console ROM subfolders out of the MAME ROMs folder.

one thing that's a bit of a bummer is that MAME has very exacting expectations of its ROMs. so for example, a cool stash of intellivision originals, updates and remakes like this will probably have to be played in dedicated intellivision emulators and not MAME.

i was looking forward to checking some of these out... :/

- DONKEY KONG ARCADE: the version Coleco SHOULD have released. *COMPLETED*.

- MS NIGHT STALKER: an updated version of the original Night Stalker game. Enhancements include faster game play, 9 mazes to play, randomness of play, and more.

Last edited by Ike Savage; 05-14-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:23 PM
Pinball Porcupine

so at this point i'm just kind of resting. i decided to completely go through MAME's master list of games, updating all my older versions, and grabbing just about anything i hadn't tried before.

this was made a lot more interesting by installing a history.dat file, which lets you read about the trivia and backstory of a game while you've got it running. i also updated my cheat.dat file, which lets you screw around with games in fun fashion. the 'warp speed' key (i.e. insert) is also a blast to use, since you can make time fly and see things you'd normally have to wait around for. i accidentally discovered a bug in "berzerk" by doing that.

some of the game trivia is pretty fascinating. for example, it turns out there was a sequel to defender's sequel of stargate, made in 1991. i doubt many people have heard of it ("strikeforce"), but it does work in MAME and is a pretty interesting leap forward.

anyway, i made it halfway through the master list before crashing. hopefully i can find motivation to continue, because i've indeed discovered a lot of interesting, little-known games.

i was also able to successfully set up more consoles. it's a little tricky, but works like it did for the intellivision, above.

that brings me to a pretty hilarious post i just bumped in to-- "the 10 worst consoles of all time!"
http://imgur.com/a/c5mEE
Old 06-11-2016, 02:29 AM
Pinball Porcupine

this guy built a pretty unique and bitchin cabinet for his son. at least, i hadn't quite seen anything like that before.

bonus points for being something that a wife would probably accept a lot more easily than the bigger, gaudier cabs. the console is pretty tasteful and artistic in a star wars sense, and can even be placed in the nearest closet if necessary.

i think the buttons lit up before he suffered some kind of short or something (3rd pic). i wish i could have seen what that looked like.