Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 396,124.31
sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all
Default These Avocados are Green???

Am I wrong??
I saw a Yahoo! Food and Health article about avocados today.
The lead picture showed an avocado sliced in half like a perfect product display. But the danged avocado was Green.

Me, I'm crazy. I eat the ones with the uniform purple-black peel that are slightly mushy to the touch. They taste very creamy and delicious, almost like the fat bands on a strip of bacon.

Tonight I went to Ralph's and forgot the avocados. I then remembered that I did when I then stopped at the Kroger discount Food 4 Less store. They had a couple of purplish avocados, but most of theirs were small and green, and all of them were rock hard. There was only one mushy one, but it was so mushy, I could nearly stick my finger through it. So I passed on them.

How do you choose the ones that you buy? Ike?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Pinball Pusher

Credits: 117,692.93
Coil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really niceCoil_Smoke is just really nice
Arrow Going, Going ... Gone

Those green avocados wait whilst nursing on the tree. Then after being plucked they decide to ripen. If your green avocado isn't going bad fast enough for 'ya...suffocate it in a paper bag to speed it's demise...

When Lit
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Pinball Wizard

sleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to allsleepy is a name known to all

Is that a good thing? Cause I really do enjoy the bad ones, within sensible limits.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 301,586.57
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

most picture-food is constructed out of plastic and ad reps, altho without the actual protein content.

IMO you were right all along, sleeps. purple-black and slightly mushy is the way to go. beyond that and you'll have to cut away too many bad sections. hmmph.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:28 AM
Pinball Wizard

I do believe the bad sections are determined by their uneven spottiness.
When the color is uniform purple-black and slightly soft to the touch, they taste pretty friggin' good to me!

The hard green or hard purple-black ones taste like chewing on plant stalks.
No food.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

most of the time i'll buy three-- one to eat that day and two green ones to ripen in my fruit basket.

i usually just do what you do, but one trick that i've heard a lot is to look at the stem button and note the color. there may even be a faint aroma that changes with the ripeness... although that may work better for other fruit, like mangoes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
sleepy (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 02:52 AM
Pinball Wizard

You know, I came from Ford City, Pennsylvania in 1954, and my family moved to Burbank, California in 1959.
Little did I know at that time what I was in for from them.
They were "made people" of a sort. Burbank is home to several studios.

For a couple of years we lived at 1610 Scott Rd.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1929...kmimYXXKMQ!2e0

In the back yard of this apartment was something that I had never seen before back home. This tall tree with lush green leaves and some kind of fruit that looked to me like hand grenades. They would fall to the ground below and turn purple-black and mushy.

I didn't know what they were, though I did ponder that they might be good to eat. What was clear was that they appeared to fall to the ground when they were ready to be discarded somehow.

On a side note, if you turn to the right down the street to Scott Rd. and Andover, you may notice that Andover Dr. is an uphill slope. This is the inverse downhill slope of the same street; Andover Dr. at Glenoaks Blvd.:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1939...dsiq7FOR-w!2e0

In 1959 I thought about taking a broken pair of roller skates and nailing them to a board. A couple of days later my older Brother and his friends spent the morning sitting on a board with broken roller skates nailed to it, and coasting down this very same street. I wondered about riding on it while standing, like a surfboard. I was only 5 years old.

Ah, the things we never realize!

View Larger Map

Last edited by sleepy; 07-18-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 AM
Pinball Porcupine

weird. it's redirecting me to the google front page even the URL is clearly intact.

btw, one interesting thing about avocados and mangoes is that the original animals they co-evolved with (called "megafauna") are probably no longer in existence. these would have likely been giant mammals, such as mammoths and possibly even giant equines and giant rodents and such.

the theory behind this comes from the fact that the seeds are so large that the whole fruit was likely gulped down whole in order to be useful to the plant in spreading those seeds around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
Coil_Smoke (07-19-2014), sleepy (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 05:06 AM
Pinball Wizard

Google seems fucked up atm. I tried embedding the maps at first, but Google doesn't want to embed the Street View. They expect us to zoom and know where we are at.
Bummer...
Old 07-18-2014, 05:14 AM
Pinball Wizard

Now it may be the yellow apartment, else the blue one in front of it.
In '59 they stood as twins. Ours used to be yellow with horizontal wood siding near the bottom, but neither apartment was blue back then.

And I see that they've removed the avocado tree. It's a shame how landlords remove that sort of thing, and the kids never know anything but concrete and dichondra. Avocado trees were a common sight back then, as were orange and lemon trees. You can still find olive trees along San Fernando Rd. in the Burbank main, near the mall.

EDIT: Well that is Strange. The map for Route 66 shows that it is nowhere near my current residence, but I've walked San Fernando Rd. around here and I've seen "Route 66" highway signs on The Road.
Hmmm...Maybe the Route was relocated, or I saw leftovers from a movie shoot?? Else wags vandals have turned the numbers upside-down.
Looking around, San Fernando Rd. is listed as "Route 99"...

Last edited by sleepy; 07-18-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Pinball Porcupine

you might want to research that. route 66 has a deep, rather complicated history with many sections and many re-namings / re-designations across many states.

in 2000 i was on a section across AZ and CA. great stuff. lots of gonzo / kitschy / 50's-type storefronts and stuff. i wouldn't mind seeing more one day, assuming there's more areas like that.