Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 07-30-2017, 02:19 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 56,763.49
kristian will become famous soon enough
Default Wow this place is BUSY!

22 people viewing this Playfield subforum right now. Wow!

Are any of you old farts still around?
Old 07-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Pinball Technician

Credits: 54,738.12
pinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the roughpinballdaveh is a jewel in the rough

Since I just turned 60 years old I guess I qualify.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 275,169.31
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

i just read a stat the other day that ~65% of internet activity these days is bot-related (not human). so take those 22 readers with a particle of sodium chloride.

but i thought of you the other day, kristian. i was watching a penalty shot clip from a hockey all-star game. as he skated towards goal, the shooter managed to pick up the puck on his stick. then he held the whole thing up like a spear and tossed it past the goalkeeper in to the net, including the puck. people were commenting that it was actually an illegal shot, but i was pretty impressed.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 AM
Pinball Wizard

Cool... you're still around.

Oh yeah... you mean he scored a bit like this?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

found it:
http://imgur.com/GIcolIl

Old 07-31-2017, 04:04 PM
Pinball Wizard

Haha. That's a joke. In the old NHL they would have beaten this guy to a pulp for that.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:36 AM
Pinball Porcupine

> Are any of you old farts still around?

btw, the list is certainly not huge. sleepy passed away recently, and it sounds like tiltjlp did as well. a few people occasionally swing by or stop by the site as needed, like shiva, duglis, da_prez, elton, itchigo, stevoz, shockman and a couple others. i haven't seen or heard from bob5453 in a couple years. i have maybe half-a-dozen old-time VPers on facebook. also, the site itself almost went down permanently in the last year, but jonpurplehaze and shiva solved the biggest technical issues from what i understand.

incidentally, last year i was working on a huge MAME project in which i took a quick look at all ~40k games to see if i could find any more hidden gems and that sort of thing. i was about 2/3rds through until my *&^%@# HDD crashed, and i haven't been able to rescue the data yet.

what's going on with you, anyway? still retired and raising a kid with your GF / wife?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Pinball Wizard

I didn't know Sleepy that well but I'm sorry to hear about tiltjlp. I recall he was in a wheelchair back then and had some health issues.

For me it's just nice. I've had a nice business going on for years and financially everything is cool. Paid my house and my cars away. No loans. That means freedom. I do whatever I want, pretty much (with normal financial limitations of course... I'm just an average guy after all). Health is perfect, which is the most important thing. My lifestyle and athletic youth really start to show in this age. The only drug I've used is aspirin/ibuprofen... and some relatively harmless "sports supplements" back in the day of course.

But I hate all drugs now... I don't take anything. And all is well. I don't consume alcohol much, either. A few times a year with friends. That starts pay off when you're in your mid-40's.

My son is now 7 and he starts a school this August. But first signs of aging are starting to show for me too... got fucking reading glasses today.

That MAME project sounds interesting. I love those old games and still play them every now and then.

Last edited by kristian; 08-03-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Credits: 125,378.19
StevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really niceStevOz is just really nice

Well I just got my first mobile phone a Moto 5G Plus to replace the old nexus7 tablet..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170803-143845.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	7139  
Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Pinball Porcupine

> For me it's just nice. I've had a nice business going on for years and financially everything is cool. Paid my house and my cars away. No loans. That means freedom. I do whatever I want, pretty much (with normal financial limitations of course... I'm just an average guy after all).

not sure what your business was after hockey. dealing in high-end watches, was it...?

> Health is perfect, which is the most important thing. My lifestyle and athletic youth really start to show in this age. The only drug I've used is aspirin/ibuprofen... and some relatively harmless "sports supplements" back in the day of course.

> But I hate all drugs now... I don't take anything. And all is well. I don't consume alcohol much, either. A few times a year with friends. That starts pay off when you're in your mid-40's.

haha, zoiks. i'm kind of a mix of that, but with worse results. i mean, i've exercised hard / played sports relentlessly across my life, and have always mistrusted 'artificial substances' that might enter my body, one way or another. fast forward some years, and feeling chronically depressed / non-functional got me to try SSRI's in the first place. some years later i waved the white flag and just accepted those kinds of meds in order to make life pretty much bearable.

and even later in my life-- booze. i mean that shit is devilishly good at raising my blood sugar temporarily, masking joint pain issues, and temporarily making my main health problem in life disappear. result, superficially-- i've always looked criminally young for my age, but life seems like it's kind of catching up with me hard the last couple of years. what a joke.

see the whole problem here, duderino? if you had simply embraced the goodness of PED's, you might have turned in to an NHL legend...!

> My son is now 7 and he starts a school this August. But first signs of aging are starting to show for me too... got fucking reading glasses today.

now you're just shamelessly bragging. fuck you, kristian!

> That MAME project sounds interesting. I love those old games and still play them every now and then.

hopefully one day i can resurrect my hard drive or restart the whole project. that way i can test / annoy certain old MAME fogeys with my brilliant discoveries.

btw, shockman was programming some pretty interesting games about three years ago or so. he would take something like... what's that favorite vector game of yours in which you're cruising over planets, shooting up enemies?... and combine that with "lunar rover" or that other game where you're driving a moon buggy, jumping over rocks and crevices, shooting at annoying aliens overhead.

Last edited by Ike Savage; 08-05-2017 at 04:11 AM.