Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Pinball Player

Credits: 914.60
Sleepy's Sister will become famous soon enoughSleepy's Sister will become famous soon enough
Default Sleepy's Weird and Wonderful Los Angeles

Arne/Sleepy liked to share stories and fun facts about Los Angeles. It is a pretty weird and wonderful (at times) place to live. Here are a few of the landmarks that make it interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	circus liquor.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	7146
"Circus Liquor" Clown - North Hollywood

Name:	Brown_Derby_Restaurant,_Los_Angeles,_Kodachrome_by_Chalmers_Butterfield.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	7147
Defunct "Brown Derby" Restaurant - Beverly Hills
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepy's Sister For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Pinball Player

Sleepy's Sister will become famous soon enoughSleepy's Sister will become famous soon enough

Name:	77_big.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	7148
"Randy's Donuts" - Inglewood

Name:	eabe3cc63bb50b115c772d1b869d5bd92c0565ec.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	7150
Defunct "Tail of the Pup" - Los Angeles
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Pinball Player

...and the weirdest most wonderful landmark of all: "The Ballerina Clown" in Venice. The Ballerina Clown is animated, which makes it even creepier.

Name:	BallerinaClownWide.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	551.3 KB
ID:	7151

Name:	3951883002_d06ee9375d.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	7152

http://www.lincolnandrose.com/home/b...-kicking-again
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepy's Sister For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 275,169.31
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

haha, that dancing hobo-ballerina is pretty cute. i also liked the brown derby that was actually shaped like... a brown derby! (from what i recall, the ones around here look like completely ordinary restaurants with just the logo slapped on or whatever)

one particular style i didn't even realise had a name until a couple years ago is googie architecture. among other places, i get the impression it was fairly popular in LA, at least at one time. i knew it mainly from the big lebowski and maybe old drive-ins and such.

1) today the jetsons, tomorrow alpha centauri?

2) no no, it's just too much!

3) (these satellites and naval mines were manufactured at the same plant)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	googie1.house-of-the-future-1000x566.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	7153   Click image for larger version

Name:	googie2.79597ce67ed57a609e250cf61cb990bc--city-state-googie.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	7154   Click image for larger version

Name:	googie3.c4f624dce4c1314a2c20caa7e6342e45.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	7155  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
Sleepy's Sister (09-06-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 06:15 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 42,677.06
GSGregg has a spectacular aura aboutGSGregg has a spectacular aura about

After Kathy told how Arne conversed with Rex about Crystallography, despite never having officially studied it, I went on a search for posts under his real name, and came across some sort of research project being done by some agency or university with credentials I could only think rivaled those of NASA or the Skunk Works. It was almost a year ago and I comprehended little then and remember even less now, but I remember thinking, one doesn't waste this kind of mental energy without a strong notion that the person or people on the other end is / are paying attention.

I recently tried to find that forum, report, or whatever it was, but it seems to have disappeared with time; I did another such search and came across this site:

http://wesclark.com/burbank/burbankers_remember.html

and some of Arne's impressions of Beautiful Downtown.....

9/3/13 - Various Burbank Memories by Arnold McMunn
In 1959 and for a few years thereafter, Mr. Big was known as "Winky's" before it became Mr. Big Burgers. Winky's was where I became familiar with Taquitos, made with rolled shredded beef. My Mother worked at Winky's.
My father worked at Wayne Watson's Shell Service in the 60's. A scene in the motion picture, "Point Blank" (director John Boorman) was shot there. In the Summer of 1964 my Father came home after work and told us that he had serviced a Rolls Royce. The automobile was carrying four well dressed young men with long hair, and my father said that they were very well behaved. He said that he asked them were they were from. And one of the young men replied, "Liverpool."
Owl's Drug Store became Jay Scott's Drug Store. And up the street from it on Irving was the laundromat, a Winchell's Donut Shop, a carpet and wall covering store not necessarily at the same point in time, and Arnold's Department Store where you could buy incense, toy pop-pop boats, sundries, Beatles and Monkees banana flavored Bubble Gum Cards, and Sen-Sen and Fan Tan Gum, Greenie-Stickum Cap Pistols, and (hopefully) live turtles and goldfish. I think they sold James Bond bubble gum cards as well. Maybe I'm dreaming.
The San Fernando Rd. at Delaware location where Ralph's currently exists was formerly a Hughes Market which in 1959 was known as McDonald's Market which used a Scottish Piper as a Mascot. The Oscar Meyer Wiener Wagon made a stop at McDonald's Market one Saturday in 1960.
Shopping Bag became a Von's Market. When it was a Shopping Bag, they often gave away free samples. One Summer they gave away mini ice cream cones. My Brother and me got in line about ten times for that, and they still gave us the cones.
In 1959, the main building/rec room at McCambridge Park had a cigarette vending machine alongside the soda cup and candy bar vending machines. Across the street on Andover, we boys were removing the wheels from broken roller skates and nailing them to boards that we would then sit on or try to stand on as we coasted downhill.
I am looking for a picture of the Marlindo Bowl.
In the 1960's, you could buy a ticket to the Cornell Theater for fifty cents by showing your John Muir Jr. High School Student I.D. Card. And in 1965, the McDonald's across the street from the Cornell offered free Saturday Matinee coupons for kid's shows such as "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" and "From the Earth to the Moon."
The TV show "Laugh-In" held a cast party on The Golden Mall. The public was invited to watch from afar. White tents containing the festivities, out of public view, were pitched on the mall. Mike Connors (Mannix) was a guest.
Denco Department Store: Where you could buy a green plastic dill pickle key chain for 99 cents.
Skipper Frank was the host of the Popeye show on KTLA Ch. 5 in the early 60's. He played Santa Claus (unnamed) at the live reindeer display that was held near Owl's Drug Store in the late 50's/early 60's.
George Washington Elementary School held an annual White Elephant Sale and Carnival to raise funds. They sold items such as Confetti Eggs which were whole egg shells, emptied through a hole applied on the end of the eggs with care by concerned mothers so that the intact shells could then be dried and filled with confetti. The children were encouraged to buy these confetti eggs and throw them at anyone.
The "amusement ride" at this carnival was usually a ride in the back of a military Duck around the playground at whirling speeds. There were Carob Trees around the log cabin in the playground.
In 1965, in Sun Valley, California there was a short-lived commercial dragstrip just off of San Fernando Rd.
In 1968, local pranksters used to throw Salvo Laundry Detergent Tablets into the fountains on The Golden Mall, with predictable over-suds action.
In the summer, I used to swim in the pools at McCambridge Park, and at Lucile Cowle's Swimming School.
I also remember Don's Restaurant and the burgers with the green leafy lettuce. But the best burger that I have ever had was, bar none, the Mr. Big Double Cheese Burger from the management who ran the place in 1993. The next management who took over in 1994, about the time of the Northridge Earthquake, took it from being The Best to the absolute rock bottom Worst. But if I can find the former 1993 Mr. Big management with a current burger location, man, I'll be there!

Last edited by GSGregg; 09-09-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: StudIED; not studYING
The Following User Says Thank You to GSGregg For This Useful Post:
Sleepy's Sister (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 06:28 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 275,169.31
Ike Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to allIke Savage is a name known to all

Wow...
Old 09-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Pinball Player

Gregg -Thank you for posting Arne's memories of 1960's Burbank! Today is the one year anniversary of his passing (Sept. 9, 2016), so reading your post this morning was especially touching to me. Wow! He had such a great memory for detail. I had forgotten so many of these things, but reading his post brought back so many childhood memories.
I can't even begin to understand crystallography. I have picked up a lot of geological concepts through osmosis (being married to a geologist), but crystallography will always elude me.

Reading through so many of Arne's posts on this forum has been cathartic for me.