Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Computer Corner > Software

Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
appropriate at this time

Credits: 72,509.57
Shockman will become famous soon enoughShockman will become famous soon enough

Do you mean it does not stop when the controller or keys are released?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
appropriate at this time

Double post.

anyway,
If you use a keyboard only, perhaps a build without joystick function and defaulting to full screen would work for you
Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 60,858.10
kristian will become famous soon enough

I don't have a joystick.... it's like it's designed for analog controls only... when you push right & up button simultaneously (move northeast) the ship is making occasional "jumps" and completely screws up the controls & aim.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:48 PM
appropriate at this time

I don't get any jumps with keys. The controls are very much separate. What you use is what controls the ship. The Joystick control is indeed designed for analog sticks as well as digital sticks.

You criticism did drive me to improve the joystick routine a great deal. It was using the standard joystick function which is basically 'if joystick to right then do this' which is set a speed. the horizontal speed and the vertical speed is separate and additive, meaning diagonal is not a function, but a reading of both axis.

The change I made is code that reads how far the stick is moved within these two axis then set the dead zone, (which is not a function either, nor needed) by having the move right for example only happen when the value is over .99 The value range of an axis is -1 to 1.

I thought you must have been using a joystick because how it was your stick would have had to have a dead zone set or it would have been very hard to go straight up for example. This was happening to me but I just got use to it. Now the control is much nicer with a stick. In fact I would say perfect in simulating the digital 8 way stick.

The speed had been adjusted as well and without consideration of scroll speed, but just how long it takes the ship to get from one side to the other, or the top to the bottom, or bottom to top, which sounds redundant, but isn't because the scroll speed on Xevious is slightly slower when you move down, as you would know. Mine does not do that. The scroll speed is the same regardless.

I used the background sound for speed testing. It is a repeating pattern which has subtle pitch changes through 4 loops of the beat. Interestingly, it takes 4 of these loops (one group or the complete pattern) to get from either the top to the bottom, or the bottom to the top. It takes 3/4 of this to get from side to side.

The keyboard though is just simple polling. While the up key is pressed it is moving up. While the right key is press it is moving right. I'm not sure of the pixels per second, but the setting is 2.5 on a scale from zero to infinity up or down, right or left. Letting go of the right stops only the motion to the right and same with the other 3. It's so simple I don't know how it could fail.

Unless of course I forgot to do a key release command which would set the relative speed to zero. I did, and I was wrong. if you are moving diagonally and you release either key, you will still be moving diagonally.

The new build should have far better control for both keyboard and joystick.

Thanks kristian. This kind of feedback is greatly appreciated. It also defaults to full screen.

If you still get jerkiness, I don't know what I can do, but I will work on it.

Download from the first post in this thread.

Last edited by Shockman; 07-03-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Pinball Wizard

Now it works like a charm.... this is nice.

Have you changed the S-flags' location?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Pinball Wizard

Nice work.... really.... the game is wayyyy too easy though.... I looped it on my 1st attempt.

PS: The crosshair should always turn red when there's a hidden sol citadel.

Put more red explosives there.... and put some kind of dramatic ending with some cool & exciting sound effects in Area 16.

What's this music on the video before the 3rd mothership? It'd be great.
Xevious (Arcade) ノーショット (Without firing a shot) 2/2 - YouTube
Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 AM
appropriate at this time

The crosshair does turn red with the hidden towers, they are just not all placed or placed the same. The flag for area one is there hidden somewhere between center and 200 units left or right. There are other flags, just not placed correctly. Maybe the collision mask is a bit too small, but they are getable. The collision mask for the bomb is about a quarter the size of the hair and centered. The mask for most objects is object size and shape. The hardened structures mask is exactly the size of the center port.

The Genesis is actually worth between 2000 and 4000 points, and I need to reflect this in my unique enemy info pages that is part of the attract mode, with a bombed port showing 500 points with an animation like the sol tower has. If you shoot out the gun ports they are 500 points each. Taking it down is 2000 points. I don't know if this is actually correct, or the range is supposed to based on something else, but this works.

I did not think it was that easy, but figured if anyone was to prove me wrong it would be you. Two ships left though. Even if you found no flags you gained 13 ships. Where did you loose most of the 16? Level 16?

I think it's harder than a master can appreciate.

There is actually quite a bit of work left to do on it.

Last edited by Shockman; 07-03-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:13 AM
appropriate at this time

That music is great. I have one sound byte left over from the rip. It might be for area 16, which I personally only know exists from legend, and re-creating it here. It's not dramatic though, and not long.

Say, there is one object missing altogether. That cube that splits and flanks the ship for a while then merges back and takes off. What can you tell me about that? Seems pointless form my observations.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:39 AM
appropriate at this time

Where does this attached clip go?

The other clip, unless I have them mixed up plays at the title screen after getting the high score, as I don't have a high score table and initial entry. I know the opening music is correct.

I'm rambling so I better put all the questions in one place.

-The music posted here?
-Are the red explosions all explosions that leave no crater? I'm color blind.
-The splitting flanking cube?
-Where did you loose most of the 16 ships?
Attached Files
File Type: wav music_2.wav (916.3 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by Shockman; 07-03-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Pinball Wizard

That is the highest score music... when you get 1st on the high score list.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
appropriate at this time

Ok. Then I probably have the wrong playing for high score.

Maybe the other sound replaces the background sound somewhere. It seems to be compatible with that format.

If you come up with a dramatic piece that is not too large that can replace the background at level 16, maybe mid way through I will certainly add it. Nothing as elaborate as the piece in the video though I would think.

Next up,

- Some fixes to the objects that share the transition between stages (as constructed). i think I have them sorted now. Also the level 7 objects that are at the end of level 16 for the transition were missing.

- Added a key stroke to turn off the background music, or sound if you will (F11).
- Added a cheat key to show a simi-transparent, half size flag, at the hidden spot (F10).
- Added a cheat key to show a simi-transparent, half size tower, at the hidden spot (F9).

For this version posted it is important for joystick users that they start the game with a joystick button. Button 3. Keyboard users start the game with the 1 key. This because the joystick routine as written at this point need the no-key command to halt movement, and the keyboard routine would not work with that.

I think I can, by doubling the 16 main drawing surfaces, and duping the controllers and altering them, make a correctly working two player toggling mode. It would be a lot of work though and would be saved for last. If anyone is interested, I could easily though make a two player at the same time game as an option out of this. I'm not sure how it would play out though. It would be more competitive than co-op.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 PM
appropriate at this time

Xevious 3d has good music and a lot of it. And they are of a size i could work with, reducing w/o much loss.

http://downloads.khinsider.com/game-...soundtrack-001
Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
appropriate at this time

The file is updated with the mentioned changes. The last couple, the cheat to show hidden objects is going to end up gone, but most of these objects will be placed differently anyway.

Also it has a different background sound for level 16. This is just a test. The music is not good enough.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
appropriate at this time

Default Xevious version 1.0

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/201484-xevious

I want to wrap this game up real soon. before my road trip in a week. I want to move on. It still needs the second cycle to be much harder. I want to use the same areas instead of doubling the number just to make a new layout, so the next cycle will simply replace a few items (some zaks will become the brad zaks, lograms derotas, and derotas bara derotas etc. and firing rate and bullet speed will increase.

Sense I posted I have completed the first part of the AI. Zolbaks went from low priority targets to essential and high priority targets, as when bombed everything that shoots, targeting the ship, will become confused for 4 seconds and fire randomly. Things that shoot straight ahead may not fire at all. Also, the Bara will be working factories in that destroying enough of them will remove the guided pieces of the brad zakato explosions.

I'm happy with how the new background sound for level 16 turned out. (if you can't make it there and would like to check it out, press I at the title screen and start the game and press keypad + until you get to area 16 (or level 15 and wait through it to get the full transition effect)). If the background sound is not turned off, at level 16 first the original background fades out slowly and the new music fades in very slowly ( plus the music was shopped to have a very long fade in and out for drama) and then fades out at the end. A series of fanfare plays, you are awarded two ships, and at the next area the old background fades back in.

Last edited by Shockman; 07-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM
appropriate at this time

Default Xevious version 2

This will be the final. At least until I get back from California. But without bugs it will probably still be.

- Made the game easier. I hope. At least level one. Level two is harder.

- Ground and air units are laid out approximately correctly with the right units in the right place. It represents just one possible layout as the arcade game changes it up depending on enemy shot.

- Cheats can be toggled within the game now, but high score saving will only be possible if the game is started without them and they stay off.

- Level 2 (the continued game after level 16) makes the behavior of most of the enemy different. Depending on the unit, they may be faster, fire more frequently, or fire more accurately. Also the confusion caused by shooting a Zolbak lasts only 3 seconds instead of 4. The layout and objects are the same though.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:08 PM
appropriate at this time

- There was a bug that would sometimes cause you to loose two ships when shot. The collision detection has been adjusted to not let this happen.

- Also the Andor Genesis mothership was using the wrong animation. That has been corrected, and slightly enhanced by turning off the lights when destroyed. The center port as it was is the destroyed animation and the light is now on the center port.

- Lastly, the music for level 16 has been re-time scaled, and will now restart if the area restarts, where it was playing through before.

These fixes are up at the link in the first post.