Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > The Plunger > The Playfield

The Playfield A Forum for anything!

Old 04-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Pinball Nudger

Credits: 29,405.08
ArcAngel is on a distinguished road
Default I have returned!

After a forced absence of several years, I have decided to try and get back to pinball emulation.

When I left, I remember UltraPin had just come onto the scene, and VP was up to v9.1 or thereabouts, and PinMAME was at v2.3.

Since then, I saw that there have been MANY changes and updates in the VP world. VPX and Pin2DMD seem to be the two major ones that I have noticed.
Going to have to delve into Pin2DMD and figure out what that's about.

Given that, I found an old DVD archive (about 10 or so) of my emulated pinball stuff, but it's quite dated (2006), so it will take a good amount of time to sort through them and figure out what needs updated.

I see already that I need to have separate table folders for VP8, VP9, and VPX tables. Spent a few hours updating my roms to the latest v3.0, and that was no easy feat considering how "rare" the ghost roms are now.

Having some issues with Gerhard's DMD tables, and VPMidi though. Got everything where it should be, just can't get any tables to run with those as of yet.

Feels good to be back though!
Old 04-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 69,545.04
shiva will become famous soon enoughshiva will become famous soon enough

Welcome back. Nice to see some of the old names returning again.

FaceBook Page for all my Rants,raves and projects
https://www.facebook.com/paul.sanderson.3745496
Next project: FPx Template engine.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 307,694.70
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

> I found an old DVD archive (about 10 or so) of my emulated pinball stuff, but it's quite dated (2006)

Does that include originals? If so, that might be a fairly valuable resource for the VP scene, as loads of originals have been lost across the years.

> Having some issues with Gerhard's DMD tables, and VPMidi though. Got everything where it should be, just can't get any tables to run with those as of yet.

That's an interesting issue. I'm guessing few (if any) still use that plugin, or have even touched it for years. I'm not sure the last version of VP that would have worked with. Maybe 7...?
Old 04-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Pinball Nudger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post
> I found an old DVD archive (about 10 or so) of my emulated pinball stuff, but it's quite dated (2006)

Does that include originals? If so, that might be a fairly valuable resource for the VP scene, as loads of originals have been lost across the years.
Yes it does. 1,257 is what I had in my archive.

Quote:
> Having some issues with Gerhard's DMD tables, and VPMidi though. Got everything where it should be, just can't get any tables to run with those as of yet.

That's an interesting issue. I'm guessing few (if any) still use that plugin, or have even touched it for years. I'm not sure the last version of VP that would have worked with. Maybe 7...?
I could try it. Tried it with 8.1 with no success. I modded some tables with it which is why I was interested in running it again.

@Shiva - thanks!
Old 04-08-2018, 04:30 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Yes it does. 1,257 is what I had in my archive.
If you could produce a listing, I'd love to take a look. IIRC most of the really interesting originals date before 2006, like "Quiditch Madness" by Bublehead, for example.

Quote:
I could try it. Tried it with 8.1 with no success. I modded some tables with it which is why I was interested in running it again.
IIRC version eight broke compatibilities for a bunch of previous tables. I would definitely try VPDisco with VP7, or maybe even VP6(!)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:26 PM
Pinball Nudger

Quote:
If you could produce a listing, I'd love to take a look. IIRC most of the really interesting originals date before 2006, like "Quiditch Madness" by Bublehead, for example.
I'll do better than that. I've put them up on the cloud, so you can download tables separately, or as a group. The entirety of the folder is some 8.6GB's.

Arc's VP8 Orginals Archive
Old 04-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Pinball Porcupine

As John Stanley liked to say in the Little Lulu comics: Yow!

Well, that's just awesome. Hopefully someone can give a holler to VPF.org about this treasure trove you're sharing. I'll try a few of these out in the coming days and report back...

EDIT: btw, did you go by a different handle back on VPforums? I don't seem to remember yours. I also went by a different name FWIW.

Last edited by Ike Savage; 04-09-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Pinball Nudger

Quote:
As John Stanley liked to say in the Little Lulu comics: Yow!

Well, that's just awesome. Hopefully someone can give a holler to VPF.org about this treasure trove you're sharing. I'll try a few of these out in the coming days and report back...

EDIT: btw, did you go by a different handle back on VPforums? I don't seem to remember yours. I also went by a different name FWIW.
You're very welcome. I figured someone else could benefit from this archive when you said some tables had become lost over the years.

When AJ's forums were up, I was DJSpeedy.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Ah, DJSpeedy sounds more familiar. I was "nicolas.b" at AJ's.

Well, I went through the collection (wow, you even saved multiple updates of the same table, nice!) and grabbed a bunch to look at. I also starred a few tables on the download list that I thought were particular classics.

Now I'm checking the downloads here and at a couple other places and just realised that VP7 is no longer offered! Bugger. I was kind of hoping to help test the VPDisco issue, but I'm not sure at the moment how to go about that.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to try out VP8 on those older originals and hope they all work.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Pinball Nudger

Quote:
Ah, DJSpeedy sounds more familiar. I was "nicolas.b" at AJ's.

Well, I went through the collection (wow, you even saved multiple updates of the same table, nice!) and grabbed a bunch to look at. I also starred a few tables on the download list that I thought were particular classics.

Now I'm checking the downloads here and at a couple other places and just realised that VP7 is no longer offered! Bugger. I was kind of hoping to help test the VPDisco issue, but I'm not sure at the moment how to go about that.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to try out VP8 on those older originals and hope they all work.
Hey, now you're familiar too!

I've put a working, non-expiring VP7 up also. It's just the exe, should be all you need.

I've got VP6 through VP9 installed in the same folder structure and have no problems switching between them.

Visual Pinball 7
Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Excellent!

And yeah, I notice Randy Davis said (on his centuries-old website) that you have to completely uninstall one VP version before installing another. But like you were saying-- I think it was figured out some time back that you can have multiple .exes operating benignly from the same folder structure at the very least. (take that, Randy)

Btw, did you try out VPDisco with VP7, and if so, what wound up happening?

Also, dang! ...it's pretty wild seeing so many of these ancient tables and actually remembering so many of them. I mean, even good ol' Wrenchien's tables!
Old 04-11-2018, 01:45 AM
Pinball Nudger

Quote:
Btw, did you try out VPDisco with VP7, and if so, what wound up happening?

Also, dang! ...it's pretty wild seeing so many of these ancient tables and actually remembering so many of them. I mean, even good ol' Wrenchien's tables!
I haven't tried it as of yet. I am still trying to get my table list in order. Have a lot of catching up to do, with some 13GB's of PinMAME roms now.

Yes, it is a blast seeing old tables again. Trigon (Original) still looks as good today as it did back when it was written!
Old 04-12-2018, 04:47 AM
Pinball Porcupine

> Trigon (Original) still looks as good today as it did back when it was written!

You know Shiva, the author of that table (who just welcomed you back, above), picked that table up again after some years and started re-working / improving it.

Looks like the truly ambitious rebuild is still a
<b>WIP</b> WIP
, but I notice there's seemingly some earlier updates here (a day and a night version) if you're interested...... http://shiva.pinballnirvana.com/file...Visual+Pinball

Btw, a couple of my own tables I authored or co-authored were not on your list. When I get things better sorted out here I'll see if I can upload them to your collection.

I'd also guess that you're completely overwhelmed by tables at this point. :P
Old 04-12-2018, 06:58 AM
Pinball Wizard

I'm amazed that people still play trigon. i think it's old and the graphics are crap nowdays compared to what is released now, and maybe it's best to just leave it as it is, a game that was released 15 years ago and just left the way it is. There was really no need to do another version, and I stopped because it really wasn't worth the time and the commitment to have to scrap the VP9 version and redo the entire thing, including the script from scratch in VPX, especially since I would have to take months just learning VPX and all the things in there. I'm far better off sticking with FP and the community there, reminds me of the first shivaSite, without the pain caused by others, and just a nice bunch of people there that I have enjoyed working with and even learning from. If I even redo Trigon or it's sequel , it would be for FP. Despite claims to the contrary, the physics aren't that bad if you spend the time to experiment, and since Trigon was a VP5 table, and people liked it back then, I'm pretty sure I can get FP to play to that level using BAM at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to shiva For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:45 PM
Pinball Nudger

Quote:
> Trigon (Original) still looks as good today as it did back when it was written!

You know Shiva, the author of that table (who just welcomed you back, above), picked that table up again after some years and started re-working / improving it.

Btw, a couple of my own tables I authored or co-authored were not on your list. When I get things better sorted out here I'll see if I can upload them to your collection.

I'd also guess that you're completely overwhelmed by tables at this point. :P
I hadn't noticed any updates with it until you mentioned it, actually.

And yes, I am somewhat 'overwhelmed" with tables at this point, especially since it appears that about a dozen or so Stern tables have been added within the past few months.

@Shiva, well Trigon may look terrible to you, but I find no issues with it, graphically, even after all these years. Even Kurt's tables still look fabulous, of which his Fathom is one of my personal favorite tables.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Pinball Wizard

Yeah, truly some great games from others that are now lost or people don't make the effort to grab older versions of VP and give those games a chance. It's a shame things ended up like they have, making the new version so completely incompatible with older versions, but they have been doing that since vp8. I don't really even play VPX/VpinMame anymore, I think the problem with me is I have been playing the same damn games now for nearly 20 years and I am just sick of them.
Thanks for the kind words though. I think my problem is no matter how hard I try, a new graphics and redraw will never work out. The game is now so ingrained in me that anything other than a redraw of the graphics the way it was first done and released will never look right no matter what.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 AM
Pinball Porcupine

One thing I have absolutely no idea about anymore is where the current nexus of VP activity lies. Is it at VPF.org? Is it amongst torrentors (or newsgroups)? Is it amongst the many other sites that collect and host VP resources? The chatrooms, even...?

As I was googling some ancient authors and tables the past day or two, that question kind of popped in to my head. Well, on a positive note, and to the point-- I noticed that many of the ancient tables are still out there... still in VP6 / VP7 format.

Does this mean that people are still running the old VP versions and old tables? Also, what kind of group would that be? Old-head collectors mainly, or could it be VP newcomers as well? If the latter, I'd guess it would be like those who get in to emulation-- they mainly just want to play some classics, and probably don't care too much which Amiga (PC, Apple ][, Atari) model it takes to run the game. After all, inside an emulator, the difference is often pretty well invisible.

So yeah, maybe someone's developed a frontend to handle this set of issues, or will in the future. "Select a table and you'll be launched in to the VP version necessary to play it."
Old 04-15-2018, 05:40 PM
Pinball Nudger

MAME implemented pinball roms a couple of years ago I think, along with incorporating the MESS code, so as things stand now, MAME is kind of, well, a mess.

I think the reason you found so many active sites is that maybe the site owners simply let them stay around. A good many sites are gone as well, but glad to see that IRPinball is still around.

There are a few pinball torrents floating around. I haven't really visited VPF all that much since my return, so I can't really answer your question as to what the nexus of pinball emulation is at the moment.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Yeap, I noticed vpinmame gor bundled in to MAME some years back, no doubt as part of their mission to emulate absolutely everything possible. IIRC going by comments from maybe two years ago on Reddit, they also intend to emulate appliances as well, like the controls on coffeemakers (lol). I'm guessing that some of these guys got hooked on emulating things at a certain point, and when they ran out of games, they just moved on to what was available. *shrug*

Btw, last time I checked, MESS seems to work nicely from MAME. Only issue IIRC is getting the art templates properly displayed. For some reason that was an issue for awhile.

Re: old VP sites,
As a matter of fact, this site almost went down a year or two ago, but JPH (the owner) and Shiva stepped in to rescue it. JPH has also been hosting IRpinball for most of its run IIRC.

So... find anything interesting, lately?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 PM
Pinball Nudger

Quote:
So... find anything interesting, lately?
Found a few of my table edits that I thought I had lost, does that count?