My Mood:
Shockman will become famous soon enoughShockman will become famous soon enough

Chrome.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Credits: 98,338.41
Australia AU West Australia
My Mood:
StevOz has a spectacular aura aboutStevOz has a spectacular aura aboutStevOz has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to StevOz Send a message via AIM to StevOz

Tii and Shocky, you lose several bonus points for not telling us why.

I use Firefox because it has more customisation options to make it safer, look better and add extra functions. For instance FTP file transfer, blocking of various nasty or just plain nosy stuff, see screenshot for some of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	5726  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 179,085.17
Peru US Ohio
Ike Savage is just really niceIke Savage is just really niceIke Savage is just really niceIke Savage is just really nice

why the fluff would anyone use IE in this day and age?

anyway, FF. partly creature of habit. partly because of how much time and effort i have in getting it set up the way i like.

not sure what the security implications are of chrome vs FF, but could be a tipping point...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM
appropriate at this time

Credits: 49,162.07
USA US Alabama
My Mood:

Chrome worked best, out of the box, than any other I have tried. It is also the fastest I have tried. It however is the only I have tried in quite some time, which devalues my opinion somewhat. If it ever fails in any respect, I will try another.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Peru US Ohio
Ike Savage is just really niceIke Savage is just really niceIke Savage is just really niceIke Savage is just really nice

i have about 10 key extensions i run in FF and have settled in to a portable version which i can always trust across various machines. not sure how much added work it would be to set all that up the same way in chrome, so that's the sticking point. bottom line, not a lot of motivation to change at this point.

it's also the case that i don't have a lot of trust in google at this point. my impression is that the user is tracked pretty aggressively in google apps / sites, starting with their search engine. wired and the tech sites (and steve-oz) should have the relevant details of that stuff. my memory is kind of hampered by some brain damage, so exacting details are never going to be my thing. :P

anywaaaaayyyyy... it also just hit me that i don't think i've heard a WORD about opera in a very long time. i know more about this pitiful "dolphin" browser on my phone and tablet than i do about good old opera. or what -used- to be good ol' opera. i mean, WTF happened with that, yo? lol

EDIT: wow, phil.... wish i could have dealt with the present you instead of the younger version back in the glorious / awful days of never-ending arguments and internet mental drama. of course, yea... same could be said for me. :P i mean, my god... things can work both ways in life! D:

and yea, i'm just getting over a serious health-scare that came up today... IF i seem a little candid / wacky in this post.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Administrator

My Mood:
StevOz has a spectacular aura aboutStevOz has a spectacular aura aboutStevOz has a spectacular aura about

Well Ike I'd say ghostery is for you then, that is if you haven't already got it running..

http://www.ghostery.com/
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 PM
appropriate at this time

USA US Alabama
My Mood:

You know, I was almost over that until you brought it up again. I have not changed in any respect to how I would take being treated wrongly for no other reason than someone's power hunger. Talk to the finger is NEVER going to hold the stigma, never be good, never be bad, just always a chosen response to something that had no good at all. Sorry to hear about your health scare, but glad to hear you are getting over it.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 AM
Pinball Wizard

Credits: 290,233.28
UK UK Pitcairn
My Mood:
sleepy is just really nicesleepy is just really nicesleepy is just really nicesleepy is just really nice

I use Chrome. It's faster to boot and it sandboxes everything.
I have IE and FF and they both are much slower to boot.

EDIT: I use IE for online purchases or bill payment because many sites do not play nice with Chrome for those purposes, and so for those uses I am stuck with IE.

Chrome is built on the Mozilla engine, so I'm not sure whether FF is now sandboxed or not. EDIT: Chrome's sandboxing was custom scripted for the browser by Google and was not a part of the Mozilla engine.

For large downloads on dial-up, I use FF with the Download Them All! download manager plugin. The plugin allows restarting from partial / broken downloads. Chrome has a f**ked up download manager that doesn't seem to work. Chrome allows Pausing a download, but for some reason cannot restart a broken download.

Get well Ike!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:41 AM
Former Operator

Credits: 34,529.55
USA US Illinois
My Mood:
Itchigo will become famous soon enough

I use IE9 on my desktop, and IE8 on my dell from hell (xp). I have FF, and Chrome, but as I only started using a computer in late 2008 I got used to where everything was at. So I'm a creature of habit. I'm not advanced enough to know it can't do this or that, etc.

FREEDOM!!
Join the Rogue (A different kind of pinball site)
http://roguepinball.com/index.php
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Peru US Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockman View Post
You know, I was almost over that until you brought it up again. I have not changed in any respect to how I would take being treated wrongly for no other reason than someone's power hunger. Talk to the finger is NEVER going to hold the stigma, never be good, never be bad, just always a chosen response to something that had no good at all. Sorry to hear about your health scare, but glad to hear you are getting over it.
really? myself, i seem to keep changing. i keep growing in terms of understanding the core issues that drive me and fuel my emotions... which does tend to keep making me a little more kind and understanding towards all different kinds of people and all different kinds of hardships, misunderstandings and drama across this crazy world. over time, of course... after i get over my feces-flinging mode, of course.

at the same time, when i became a VPF admin way back when, i felt like it was my job to give everyone possible a 2nd / 3rd and 4th chance. in other words, i was very, very insecure and wanted to please everyone, and felt the need to bend over backwards for anyone who said they had a good argument. not just you, but every single person who had ever felt wronged by a VPF staff at one time. wow........ and you wanna talk about a formula for instant failure? my god.

in retrospect, phil? if i had actually trusted the work of the people who came before me, you would have been instantly banned when i first took up the job. it wouldn't have come down to pete banning you because you threatened me (or the site, or something like that)... you would have just been instantly gone. vamoosed. goodbye. etc. and more than ever, i know that such would have been the best and correct decision for the good of the community.

and, yea i would have felt a little shitty for having banned you (or anyone), but i would have consoled myself that there was PN and several other places to make your case and spew all the anger you wanted to for as long as it took for you to get adjusted.

bottom line: you're a very smart, interesting person, phil, but you can be a total knucklehead when it comes to certain things, and i'm sorry to say that it still sounds like you haven't realised very much of that after all all this time to potentially reflect. at the same time, i'm not a teacher, and i will never have the right, perfect words to give people insight or motivation. all of that shit is on you, and you alone. as it is for all of us poor fuckers, when it really comes down to it.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 PM
appropriate at this time

USA US Alabama
My Mood:

I didn't want to get into this again. You suggested I have changed, because you were impressed by my post or other posts as well. I take offense at that.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:47 AM
appropriate at this time

USA US Alabama
My Mood:

really? myself, i seem to keep changing. i keep growing in terms of understanding the core issues that drive me and fuel my emotions... which does tend to keep making me a little more kind and understanding towards all different kinds of people and all different kinds of hardships, misunderstandings and drama across this crazy world. over time, of course... after i get over my feces-flinging mode, of course.
The rest of your post suggests you have neither changed, or grown. Talk to the finger was nothing, and I did succeed in showing that, and that was my point. The whole argument should have centered on that. It never did. The argument was instead could the staff do any wrong, and admit it. I tried to argue a point about what moderation is, what moderation means, and what a good moderator is all about. How could you honestly think I can change to the point where I would think your pride and other's was more important than that website was?
I would do it all over, just the same. Not because I have not changed, but because the basic concept of right and wrong has not changed. VPF was what you and the other staff made it. I was a mere member and played to exactly what it was. Again, if all of you had no pride, then a simple act of moderation would have ended this before it was public. The request was PM. The first few complaints were PM. The first hot comments were PM. That is on Staypuft, but the pride festered in the staffing. Staypuft wanted to do his job. To moderate, after it became public. He was not allowed because of other's pride. He then, and not later, quit. We had no other public communication, be we did have private communication. He thought at first that it was a judgment call, but as a moderator knew it was not moderation, and what the right thing was. Don't confuse memory with non change though. I hated you at one point, to the point that I did not care if you were alive, let alone doing well. I like you now though. I just consider you to have had an evil phase. If that is not a change, nothing is.

at the same time, when i became a VPF admin way back when, i felt like it was my job to give everyone possible a 2nd / 3rd and 4th chance. in other words, i was very, very insecure and wanted to please everyone, and felt the need to bend over backwards for anyone who said they had a good argument. not just you, but every single person who had ever felt wronged by a VPF staff at one time. wow........ and you wanna talk about a formula for instant failure? my god.
I don't fully understand what you are saying here, but I know I saw none of it at the time. In some ways, you were worse admin of all. In others, the best. But the bad was off the scale. With you and the others, an narcissistic pride seemed a job requirement, but you downright lied the most.

in retrospect, phil? if i had actually trusted the work of the people who came before me, you would have been instantly banned when i first took up the job. it wouldn't have come down to pete banning you because you threatened me (or the site, or something like that)... you would have just been instantly gone. vamoosed. goodbye. etc. and more than ever, i know that such would have been the best and correct decision for the good of the community.
I wonder if you meant to type about trusting the word, instead of the work. If not, I miss the point. You suggest that you did not ban me. If that is what you need, then I will not argue that. But you did, and you can argue that if you like. But it would be a good time to bring up one lie. The one where you said if I could get AJ to take me off of RO that you would not go against him. He did and the first thing you did was go against him. It had to make you wonder why I could get a hold of AJ when his staff could not. Pride again trumped administration, and your word. If you did not go home and tell your wife, call your Mom, and declare you were an asshole today, then you at least were a narcissist, and I don't know if they can change or not, but I know no example.

and, yea i would have felt a little shitty for having banned you (or anyone), but i would have consoled myself that there was PN and several other places to make your case and spew all the anger you wanted to for as long as it took for you to get adjusted.
You know what I think about that statement.

bottom line: you're a very smart, interesting person, phil, but you can be a total knucklehead when it comes to certain things, and i'm sorry to say that it still sounds like you haven't realised very much of that after all all this time to potentially reflect. at the same time, i'm not a teacher, and i will never have the right, perfect words to give people insight or motivation. all of that shit is on you, and you alone. as it is for all of us poor fuckers, when it really comes down to it.
That's the bottom line as you see it? VPF was doomed then. If it was not me, it would have been someone else, but it had to be someone.

I do wish you well Nick, and I don't hold a grudge against you. You were an Admin. of VPF. You were not held to and standard in your self nor as it were, in others. And to suggest I might have changed. To suggest that I needed to. To suggest that I was more than a malcontent, but that I should have been content, no matter what.

You know the things VPF did that made me angry. What was it I did that caused this? Type 'talk to the finger'? Suggest that if the exchange was edited that it be done fairly. Anything after that was reaction after PMs that started with 'if you are going to edit my post then you should edit his as well, and ending with taking sides is not what moderation is about, regardless of the side you are leaning towards. Yes, everything else came after that. But if that's it. then that's it. What came after and was meant to either instigate an action at that point, or for me to 'change' to a member more in line with how the staff wanted VPF to be... combative. It's your (VPF staff in general, but in total as well) actions which you look on as the hardships, misunderstandings and drama in that crazy world. I'm sure of it. You had to type something else though, you just hadta "all of that shit is on you, and you alone. as it is for all of us poor fuckers, when it really comes down to it. why type 'alone', and then the rest? Makes no sense.

What is on me is a fierce effort to instill integrity into VPF. Something the staff was against, fought tooth and nail against, and clashed with your personalities. You wanted it another way. You can't blame me that you had it another way. Regardless of what you type, I was there. You should thank me for playing into VPF as you would have me do so. If on the other hand you wanted it your way and for me to like it, then I will say fuck you. But I don't believe you would expect that from me, so I will instead say your welcome, and take care.

Last edited by Shockman; 01-28-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Pinball Wizard

UK UK Pitcairn
My Mood:
sleepy is just really nicesleepy is just really nicesleepy is just really nicesleepy is just really nice

So...what was the original argument that started all of this?
Was it a modding issue, a flaming issue, or a trespass by another member?
Name calling. Etc.?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 AM
appropriate at this time

USA US Alabama
My Mood:

I would call it a Admin. issue, but the buck always gets handed down from there. It was in fact a name calling issue to begin with. Between Nicky Special and me. About Black. The Admin felt he should be able to call me names and that I should not respond. His post remained for years. It was, it seems, the sole drive of the administration to make sure it did.

It's just reading that I am somehow a better person now than I was then irks me. I was as good (and right) then as I am now.

This is not a lingering issue in my life. It is merely total recall. I could tell you exactly what the initial argument with nicky about Black was about nearly word for word. I can tell you the posts that started the public issue I tried to avoid absolutely word for word.

If it was not suggested in this thread that I was wrong to expect, instead of wrong to trust, I would not have it on my mind. I know I was wrong to trust, I just don't feel I was wrong to expect. I don't think it was originally a personal thing against me, but a stroking of Nicky. That's fine. I don't care who is doing who.

The staff had quite a few resolutions, that would have been satisfactory to me, possible to use. They choose the one only option that was not.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 AM
Pinball Wizard

UK UK Pitcairn
My Mood:

It was Rev. Stu, eh?
He's a funny bird, ripping the table, slapping a backglass on it and calling it his.
In defense of his actions, he blew everyone off by arguing that nobody owned the rights but the manufacturer, so we were all guilty of the charge and how, for that rationale, everything was free for the taking, including other author's works. That was his rationale for ripping Stein's "The Jetsons" and claiming it as 'his own', in spite of not being based on any pinball machine at all.

But as The Rev. Stu, his WoS site now charges subscription fees to access the various uploads by he(?).

Hmmm...
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 AM
appropriate at this time

USA US Alabama
My Mood:

I got a couple names mixed up. Probably because I had a bout with Stu as well, but not at VPF. It was Leo Wanker I had the name calling issue with at VPF. Leo said it was not offended by my comment, by the way. Actually I had no problem with ny members, and none seemed to have a problem with me. It was just a game that the staffers liked to play. I had no problem with any of them until it became clear that all of them felt honer bound to each other to give me hell. Neptune Holographics was the only member I had a problem with, and that was not at VPF either.

Last edited by Shockman; 01-28-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Pinball Wizard

UK UK Pitcairn
My Mood:

Was that an admin dispute over censorship regarding a reference to Mr. Wanker's moniker?
I'm remembering something there.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Faralos

Credits: 116,751.80
USA US Pennsylvania
My Mood:
faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

getting back to OS's I use Mozzilla 15.0.1
as it is the best so far imo
I have a few apps in it too so if I am surfing
and I see something I like I can click on it to save it
whether it's a static front page or a full length video
(using Firefox's download app) I can save it to my desktop
with just a mouse click
as for Google I have not updated it in such a long time
I forgot how to check to see which version of Google I have
but I know it's much older than Chrome
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM
appropriate at this time

USA US Alabama
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Was that an admin dispute over censorship regarding a reference to Mr. Wanker's moniker?
I'm remembering something there.
No. That was an issue with PacDude. He (PacDude) and I were not friends, but I took his side on that one. That started with Leo calling PacDude PacDud. I had no problem with that, until again the God Damned staff again took Leo's side in a stupid, but typical fashion, Giving PacDude RO and sucking Leo's cock again, and even posting straight out that Leo could call PacDude PacDud, but PacDude could not call Leo Mr. Wanker.

It's fine to have favorites and to treat them better, but there is a line where it becomes evil.

Yes. I got involved, giving my opinion. Even with no love lost, I had to post what I thought about that. Right is right, and wrong is wrong after all, and it has nothing to do with who it is. Again though the staff could not see, and I believe, because of their personalities, honestly could not see, anything wrong with that.

You can't fix stupid though. I should have realized that.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Pinball Wizard

UK UK Pitcairn
My Mood:

About Google Chrome, not sure if it updates without opening the browser,
but I'll bet you have the current Google Chrome.
Chrome installs with a separate GoogleUpdate.exe (something like that)
and I think it runs as a separate program from the Windows Task Manager.

You can check it by opening Chrome and by clicking the Tools icon in the upper right-hand corner of the browser, then choose About Google Chrome.
If you click the About, Chrome will go into automatic update mode, but will tell you if your browser is already up-to-date.

Or, as you said you haven't updated it is a long time, simply open it and take a look at the tools icon in the upper right-hand corner of the browser. It used to be a wrench, but some time ago they changed it to a grill shape of three short lines.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Faralos

Credits: 116,751.80
USA US Pennsylvania
My Mood:
faralos has a spectacular aura aboutfaralos has a spectacular aura about

I never downloaded chrome but this is what my browser looks like when opened
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	browser properties.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	5730  
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faralos View Post
I never downloaded chrome but this is what my browser looks like when opened
mmm, that's butt ugly faralos, you're going it all wrong...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ff19.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	5766  
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Pinball Porcupine

Peru US Ohio

phil, i didn't quite catch the gist of that. you were saying it all started where, exactly?

and what part did i play in all that? better or worse?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Pinball Wizard

UK UK Pitcairn
My Mood:

You don't have Chrome. You have Firefox with the Google plugin.
I misunderstood the preposition, but FF with plugin vs. Chrome is Apples and Oranges.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM
appropriate at this time

USA US Alabama
My Mood:

I was talking about the 'PacDud' vs 'Mr. Wanker' thing, when I used the phrase 'that started ...'.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Peru US Ohio

i don't know. i mean, i know i was an awesome admin and all, but it sounds like we haven't heard the full story from you on certain stuff. but whatever.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 PM
appropriate at this time

USA US Alabama
My Mood:

It's not my intention to insult you, but if you press, you were a typical VPF staffer, and that of course is insulting.
You are not now, and you know, as everyone else here knows, I have gotten along with you here. The only problem was when you infer that I am better now than I was then. I understand that you said the same about yourself but I still will take offense at the suggestion that I could have been or should have been, any better of a person.

The whole story is I asked for moderation and the staff decided that no staffer would provide that, and would not let the couple that wanted to proceed. It was an uneven exchange as I called no one names. That's the whole story Nick and you know that. You were as big a part of it than anyone else. Add to that the 'PacDud', 'Mr Wanker' thing, which I have, and you can see that the staffers lips were clamped to Mr. Wanker.

No action on my part would have made VPF any better. It was what it was, and the only thing I did was to fight for it to be better, because as long as it was at a point where the staff would support people like Leo against people like me or PacDude, regardless of the facts of the matter, It had problems. You either wanted chaos, and have nothing to complain about, or were sick with narcissism, and should be happy as well.

I think you are just inciting again, suggesting there is more to the story that you don't know about.

If you think it is awesome to let other's pride migrate to you because you joined them, if you think saying talk to the finger is the worse thing you ever read and way over the top as a response to being called an idiot. If you think having that post remain throughout your term as it did throughout the other's was worth the trouble you knew it would cause, if you think promising to unban me and then banning me again was funny, then you were an awesome admin. and don't let anyone tell you different.

You know I don't think there ever was a good Staffer in any position at VPF, so don't take this personally.

I know you were being nice in your own way when you said you wished I was like I am now, back then, but you also know how simple a request, yes, demand, it was that would have made that so, so don't tell me about your wishes for that time. You got your wish.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Peru US Ohio

ah, don't feed this troll. i was merely wound up.

if i ever give a rat's ass about this stuff, someone pls lock me in a cell with gordon gilbert. it would be a painful lesson i'd richly require.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:17 AM
Pinball Lizard

Credits: 132,233.65
North Korea US Wisconsin
ruby651 has a spectacular aura aboutruby651 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Savage View Post

if i ever give a rat's ass about this stuff, someone pls lock me in a cell with gordon gilbert. it would be a painful lesson i'd richly require.
That is a lesson you richly deserve! I hope he's got his guitar with him and you have to listen to Super Funky Space Monkeys over and over and over...
The Following User Says Thank You to ruby651 For This Useful Post:
Ike Savage (03-05-2013)