Pinball Nirvana Home Page

Go Back   Pinball Nirvana Forums > Real Pinball > Maintenance & Repair

Maintenance & Repair Discuss and offer tips on real life machines.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 5,749.30
dlechestnut is on a distinguished road
Default Entering the World of Pinball Repair

Greetings.

I acquired an Eight Ball Deluxe machine at an auction a couple of weeks ago. I had a professional come over to get it up and running (power issues) but I'd like to take care of the remaining and future repairs/maintenance myself. At this point, I have two questions.

1) Roll-over buttons. That's what Bally calls them in any case. The ball rolls over a star and triggers a connection under the playfield. The one on this machine activates about one out of every 10 times. I've cleaned the contacts and adjusted the distance between them and it still doesn't fire very often. Is that just the nature of the feature or is it something I should continue messing with to get it working more consistently?

2) Bulb burn-out. I have one bulb in a bumper than I've already replaced twice. There is obviously something wrong here, but this is where inexperience comes in. What do I check for, what am I expecting to see, and how might it be resolved?

Speaking of bumpers -- $40 for a new set of caps? Seriously? Am I looking the wrong places?

Thanks in advance
David
Old 04-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Pinball Troubleshooter

Credits: 28,275.05
USA US Texas
My Mood:
spalmer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlechestnut View Post
Greetings.

I acquired an Eight Ball Deluxe machine at an auction a couple of weeks ago. I had a professional come over to get it up and running (power issues) but I'd like to take care of the remaining and future repairs/maintenance myself. At this point, I have two questions.

1) Roll-over buttons. That's what Bally calls them in any case. The ball rolls over a star and triggers a connection under the playfield. The one on this machine activates about one out of every 10 times. I've cleaned the contacts and adjusted the distance between them and it still doesn't fire very often. Is that just the nature of the feature or is it something I should continue messing with to get it working more consistently?

2) Bulb burn-out. I have one bulb in a bumper than I've already replaced twice. There is obviously something wrong here, but this is where inexperience comes in. What do I check for, what am I expecting to see, and how might it be resolved?

Speaking of bumpers -- $40 for a new set of caps? Seriously? Am I looking the wrong places?

Thanks in advance
David

Greetings and Welcome. Congratulation on you first machine. As far as the issues you are experiencing.

1. It is very likely that the switch for that roll over has never been replaced. Face it, you can only clean and adjust so many time before it is going to wear out. 30+ years, replace the switch.

2. Pop bumper lights go through a lot off abuse from the vibration. I have found that sometimes, the bulb will not fit tight in the socket making it even harder on the bulbs. A small adjustment can make a world of difference.

3. Bumper cabs are a bit pricey for this one since they are unique. Anthoer option, buy blank unprinter cap and Macro Specialtise sells the decal set for them for under $4.00.

If you have any questions, let me know. I just got out of the hospital and still not feeling 100%. May take a day or two for a reply.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Inserted Coin

Thanks for the quick response and best wishes on the recovery.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Inserted Coin

I think I did a poor job explaining the issue with the roll-over button.
The button works fine if the ball move across it slowly. A random shot that travels half-way up the shoot across the button, stalls and rolls back will trigger it without fail. A quick shot that zips over the button doesn't get a reading from the machine.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Pinball Troubleshooter

USA US Texas
My Mood:

Quote:
I think I did a poor job explaining the issue with the roll-over button.
The button works fine if the ball move across it slowly. A random shot that travels half-way up the shoot across the button, stalls and rolls back will trigger it without fail. A quick shot that zips over the button doesn't get a reading from the machine.

Still could be a badly worn switch. I would start there first.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Former Operator

Credits: 33,480.50
USA US Illinois
My Mood:
Itchigo will become famous soon enough

No! Emery boards work great on rollover/leaf switches.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Pinball Troubleshooter

USA US Texas
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchigo View Post
No! Emery boards work great on rollover/leaf switches.

Agreed, but it depends on how many times they have been filed down.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Inserted Coin

I'm actually more bothered by the light bulb that keeps burning out. I've checked the seating and the bulb is secure. I checked the voltage (4.6-ish) and that's comparable to the other bumpers (5-ish).

I put a new one in b/c I had the machine open already. It burned brighter than the others and fried itself within an hour.

Any ideas of what else to check or how to deal with this?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Pinball Troubleshooter

USA US Texas
My Mood:

Quote:
I'm actually more bothered by the light bulb that keeps burning out. I've checked the seating and the bulb is secure. I checked the voltage (4.6-ish) and that's comparable to the other bumpers (5-ish).

I put a new one in b/c I had the machine open already. It burned brighter than the others and fried itself within an hour.

Any ideas of what else to check or how to deal with this?

Sounds like a short. Check the underside of the pop bumper to make sure you are not shorting to the coil or switches.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Inserted Coin

Credits: 8,221.35
USA US California
boydsc331 is on a distinguished road

i would get L.E.D. bulbs for the pop bumper. i think they would be more durable and they look great too. but a short will take out an L.E.D. also so check that first. as for leds heres a link for any led you might need http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Tags
beginner, eight ball deluxe, repair