View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 0.00
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Funny (well actually, very much NOT so much), my HP Compaq Presario laptop has been going downhill lately.

Granted it's eight years old and that line is famous for overheating, but I've always tried to treat it right. For example, I rigged up a custom cooling station in which the machine sits a foot off the floor, with a box fan blowing on it at all times. I thought I was ahead of the odds, although unbelievably, this thing still gets absurdly hot and still needs to shut itself down from time to time.

Anyway, the past two nights, each time in the early hours it shut down on its own. In the mornings I've tried to turn it back on in vain. It will start up very briefly, then shut down immediately. So I start taking it apart, pulling the drive, removing / swapping the RAM modules, and playing around with the power button, i.e. quick start vs. 5-second press vs. 90-second press. Somehow I've gotten it to restart normally so far, but this hain't a lookin' good.

Prolonged heat tends to destabilise / weaken connections between components, so I have a feeling that pretty soon I'll be needing to completely pull the laptop out of its case, disconnect and re-seat everything, and... yeah. Just not looking forward to all that complication and uncertainty. :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Ike Savage For This Useful Post:
GSGregg (09-10-2018)