View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 02:21 PM
Pinball Porcupine

Credits: 0.00
Ike Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to beholdIke Savage is a splendid one to behold

Unless you go outside of normal Windows procedures, it seems like you can only delay updates, not turn them off entirely. Really, that's not necessarily a bad thing for an OS as heavily-targeted as Windows.

No idea about the outrageous loading times. My system boots really fast compared to older OS's and machines I've had. It's just a mediocre 3mhz desktop with 4gb RAM.

But if your mom's like a lot of people, her system might have become heavily cluttered over time. A couple minutes spent with MSCONFIG turning off 'autoboot' stuff might greatly clear that up.

EDIT: I get the feeling that the average Windows user doesn't pay as much attention as they should to Windows being a chronic target. In other words, a responsible user in this day and age should be running robust security on their system, without question.

Now Win10 does make this a little more painless by having the Windows Defender suite built in (which got good marks from the security community last time I checked), but any user should also be running plenty of browser protection. If you fail to run good security i general, you're probably going to run in to trouble down the line. While it's true you can blame that on Windows to an extent, you could also blame it on your own negligence if you're being honest with yourself.

Again, not trying to stick up for Windows or anything. If I ever needed to, I would without hesitation jump to Linux and likely not look back.

Last edited by Ike Savage; 09-29-2019 at 04:49 PM.